Thursday, May 22, 2008

When I ran Away

That hot night 
how the crickets crooned
and I felt dizzy to their tune
I ran away out my window
following the moon
through the blue cornfield
I followed the sound of the creek on the other side of the field
where the wood nymphs hid inside of their tree cocoon 
I walked on the stone path across the creek 
that hummed of a leak
that led to where the great king baboon 
lived and how he would give
his golden apples to the one
who would give him a kiss
and grant you a wish
And up the hill I pulled myself up by the tree roots
careful not to touch the hands
from the men's bodies who had been killed here in battle long ago
ghosts that wooed through the night like owls
I shuddered and skipped
There was the tree house, with my lantern and the moon
I made my way through the sequin leaves brushing passed me
and I made my way up up
to Repunzel who I would save
then she would save me
I slept on her hair that night in my tree
and later stole a Lemon Cake from the outside of the kitchen window 
that Gramma had made
later
the hot air begin to seep inside of me and I felt hot and sticky
like the cake
I swam in the creek
with the Water Ladies
who smelled of the sea
and I told them about me
They clicked and sang
about the days that had been done
and vanished before my heart
and it would become dark and the lightning bugs
would  come out at the start 
of periwinkle colors in the hollows
and twinkling Stars shooting
from the mouths of the hills that come after the fields
where lions come out at night
and try to eat the stars 
so that they can stay golden and yellow
like the moonlight
and lamp lights in the trees
like an old movie
and being little and  how
I had a secret land
of Cupcakes and Cherries
Asleep I fell
When I Ran Away

No comments: